Tuesday, October 09, 2007

oppinion on the dreadlock technique of putting your lock trough a hole in the base to tighten them towards your scalp..

oh god..

The method described is indeed a well accepted and tried method, practiced by many people with dreadlocks. This is however NOT and I repeat NOT a good idea!

This method is for people who dont have enough patience and faith in their hair to just wait it out. Your hair will dread of itself, without any help if you just wait it out. The first 2cm (about an inch) of hair starting form your scalp wont look like dreadlock, but thats normal, it will tighten as it grows. Just wait it out & dont panic. Dreadlocks are all about patience!

Why not use this method? Because your dreadlocks wont be as nice and even as they would be if you do wait. I used this method some years ago on 2 locks and I can still feel and see where I did. The loop that formed there restricted the natural locking of the hair, which prevented that part of my dreadlock from decently forming and tightening.

While there are people who use this method throughout their dreadlocks life, those dreadlocks will look and feel less nice and less dready compared to anyones dreads who doesnt!

I advise Everyone against using this technique!

I really miss a community driven site about locks. I might start one myself soon. There s too much bull around and some community (and i mean wiki bc a forum is nice, but its not a knowledge base..) action would do well. im thinking history, techniques, maintenance, .. All the shit on one site.. available and searchable!

No comments: